Friday, December 6, 2013

Welcoming the Holidays: 3 DIY Christmas Decor Ideas

Hey guys! It’s now the first week of December and you know what that means… we are heading into the holiday season, and I thought it’d be a great way to kick off the holidays starting with a bit of decorating! Now, I know that some of us may not have enough space for a Christmas tree, so after searching around, I’ve come up with a few simple alternatives.




DIY Christmas Scene Globe
My first idea was inspired by Dollar Store Craft’s DIY winter snow globe. Keeping the globey-ness of a snow globe, I used this glass globe I got from the dollar tree. I didn't really want to make it into a snow globe, so I skipped out on adding water. 

Most of the materials I used for this project, I got from the dollar tree. I have a few ideas for what you could use for the snow besides salt. You could use those little foam beans that you would put inside stuffed animals. You could use laundry detergent, baking soda, or basically anything white and powdery. The glass globe, salt, and trees are the main materials that you will be needing for this, but you can add additional decorations to the globe and customize it to your liking.

After you pour in your salt and add in your trees, start adding in the rest of your decorations~ and yes! I did use chopsticks to add in the little glass rocks because I couldn't fit my man hands through the glass globe opening.
After finishing this project, I added some LED lights (also from Dollar Tree) to the globe because I had this mental image of mini lit Christmas trees in a globe, but I don’t think the result turned out to look very nice. 


DIY Ornament Display #1
The next two ideas were both inspired by Shelterness. I found out I wasn't going to have my big fake Christmas tree this year because my aunt had thrown out it while she was helping us clean our garage *cringe* but we still had all our ornaments, so this was a great way to make use of them instead of just letting them sit in the garage to gather dust.


All you need for this project are ornaments, a large frame, and some Christmas lights (or string if you don’t have lights). Once again, I got the lights from Dollar Tree for $1, I got the ornaments from Daiso (Japanese Dollar store) in Japantown for $1.50 for each tube of 10 ornaments. If you guys have never been to Daiso, stop everything you are doing and go visit that store right this moment!


The instructions are very simple, just remove the glass and frame backing from the frame. Next, tape your Christmas lights or string to the back of the frame, hang your ornaments, and then you’re done!


DIY Ornament Display #2
You can make eye catching displays by placing your ornaments in tall vases, jars, or even large bowls. You can also play around with other objects you have at home if you think ornaments in a container are not enough and mess around with their placements to see what would work. All you will simply need is a candle stick holder ($1 at Dollar Tree), a large bowl, and some ornaments.

The instructions are very straight forward for this one :)


Here is the final cost breakdown of all three decorations:
I feel that these projects are very inexpensive as well as also being very versatile in that you could use them for other holidays as well. If it was still Thanksgiving and you wanted to create a look and atmosphere that embodied the aspects of fall, for example, I believe you could replace the ornaments in the second ornament display idea with things like pine cones or small pumpkins, follow a color scheme with more warmer colors like reds, oranges, yellows, and browns. The winter scene inside your glass globe could be altered as well.
Here are some more pictures of the decorations. I placed all three decorations on a shelf in the entry way of my house.
 Also, please excuse my naked walls. It really bothers me that I haven't put anything up yet, so expect to see a blog post on wall decorations later on~


I thought these ideas were a very cute and simple way to add a little Christmas flare to my home. If anyone of you guys decides to try this out, let me know how it turns out. Are there any other types of Christmas DIY's you would like me to cover for my next few holiday related blog posts? Leave your comments below!



As always, thank you so much for stopping by to take a look at my blog. I've finally reached over 1000 views! Yay~

Anyways, hope you these ideas give you some inspiration or ideas of your own. Happy decorating~ ♥

Until next time!

No comments:

Post a Comment