Friday, November 15, 2013

Skin Food: DIY Beauty Treatments


Here in San Francisco, it’s been starting to get colder and I’m pretty sure that I can attest for many of us and say that the cold winter weather totally dries out my skin! I know that it’s still fall and some places might still be warm, but since this is such a common occurrence and winter is almost here anyways, I started to do a bit of research and found some easy DIY beauty treatments to share. Your skin needs to be fed too! 

FACE: 
Companies are always trying to get their products out on the market and they make you think you need something like a face scrub when you really don't. Sometimes face scrubs do more harm than good because the little granules in the scrubs may be too harsh on the skin, which can cause irritation or dry out you skin, leading to more problems.
Instead, try out this gentle papaya face mask. The alpha-hydroxy acids in the papaya as well as the yogurt will help dissolve dead skin cells. While this natural exfoliant is doing its job, the fats in the yogurt will help to moisturize your face and the honey will help lock in that moisture. Getting rid of the dead skin cells on the surface of your skin will really help the moisturizing properties in the mask (or any moisturizing treatment) to sink into your skin.

APPLICATION: See image~ 


*NOTE: You can play around or adjust the measurements of the ingredients in any of these beauty treatments to your liking.

Image: http://www.thebeautyinformer.com/2013_01_01_archive.html
EYES:
During the winter time, although I don’t have this problem, I notice that many others develop dry patches of skin around the eyes. Here is a simple way to help prevent dryness around your eyes: cucumbers. Cold cucumbers work as great anti-inflammatories which reduce blood flow to the area and constrict blood vessels to help de-puff your eyes. They also have a high water content which is great for hydrating your eyes, so cut two slices of cucumbers and place them over your eyes for 10-15 minutes then follow up by gently massaging the area with your favorite moisturizer (or olive oil works too).  

HAIR:
People are always trying to find ways to keep their skin moisturized and healthy, but they often forget that the scalp needs nourishment too. Keeping the scalp healthy by doing scalp treatments will help moisturize your scalp and relieve tight flaky skin during the cold winter months (helps with dandruff) as well as also speeding up hair growth by stimulating your scalp. The recipes listed in the image are treatments that I swear by, but you can do some research to see what other ingredients are great for scalp/hair treatments and that cater to your own needs.
APPLICATION: See image~
TIP: Olive oil can sometimes be hard to get out of your hair, so you may have to shampoo your hair twice. If you feel that there is still a bit of residual grease left in your hair, you can apply a very small amount of dishwasher detergent to your hair (dishwasher detergent made especial for removing grease).
*NOTE: You can also use the yogurt and honey hair mask on the face ♥ 

As you can see, we really don’t need to be spending so much money on luxurious beauty products when we can just raid the refrigerator of youth! There are so many household ingredients that can provide the similar effects you would achieve if you had indulged in an expensive treatment. If any of you guys try these treatments out, let me know how it goes and if there are any other treatments you would like me to talk about in the future. Leave your comments below.

Thanks so much for stopping by! Until next week~

6 comments:

  1. Very interesting DIY post! Very intriguing! I have come cross a lot of face masks and I have been wanting to try them; however, I am always conflicted on which one to use and which one is the best. I hope to read more interesting DIY posts from you! Amazing start :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is awesome! I tend to spend money on things to take care of my skin and it's cool to see that I can make use of the stuff I already have at home rather than going out and wasting money, so thank you for this post!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yummy, cucumbers and avocados. Plain yogurt's is kind of gross, but at least it does justice naturally to the hair and skin! ^_^

    ReplyDelete
  4. Very interesting post! This definitely encouraged me to stop going to the stores to get beauty treatment supplies and just make my own.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Love the layout of your blog! I am constantly dyeing or bleaching my hair so a hair mask is something I really need to look into doing.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I really like your picture recipe. Its really cute! i can't wait to try the face mask! thanks!

    ReplyDelete